1. Am I worried about what people think of my message or what God thinks? (Teach with fear)
2. Do I genuinely love these people? (Teach with love)
3. Am I accurately presenting this passage? (Teach with accuracy)
4. Am I depending on the Holy Spirit’s power or my own cleverness? (Teach with power)
5. Have I applied this message to my own life? (Teach with integrity)
6. Will this message draw attention to me or to God? (Teach with humility)
7. Do the people really need this message? (Teach with urgency)
1. Does this message exalt the gospel of Jesus Christ? (grace and redemption)
2. Will people know what to do after hearing the message? (repentance and faith)
3. Am I saying anything (i.e. illustration) that will distract from the point I am trying to make?
4. Do I, at any point, make much of myself in this sermon? (e.g. “I think …”)
5. Would I like this to be the last sermon I ever preach?
Believing that this may be my last opportunity to preach Christ will clarify what really needs to be said. Am I okay with this message being the last thing my family and church hears from my lips? And more importantly, am I okay with this message potentially being the last thing a man, woman or child will hear about the gospel before they die?